November 11, 2021
AMC Entertainment, the largest movie theater chain in the United States, has announced plans to market its AMC Theaters Perfectly Popcorn.
Popcorn, served in theaters since 1920, will be available on four new platforms:
- Owned retail business: The company will open five âAMC Theaters Perfectly Popcornâ stores, counters and / or kiosks in shopping malls during the first half of 2022 and plans to have up to 15 by the end of 2022 and âmany moreâ by the end of 2022. -of the. Initial locations are likely to be in malls without an AMC theater. The offerings will include traditional and gourmet popcorn, candy and soda.
- Home delivery: AMC will make its âfreshly poppedâ popcorn available to nearby theaters through door-to-door food delivery services.
- Go: Take-out packages will be sold in theaters for take-out and / or pick-up.
- Third Party Retail: in 2022, AMC’s prepackaged, ready-to-pop microwave popcorn will begin to hit supermarket and convenience store shelves.
AMC said in a statement that the out-of-theater popcorn push provides an opportunity to diversify and create new sources of revenue.
âThe announcement that AMC will become a competitor in the multi-billion popcorn market is so natural and logical that one wonders why the idea has not been tried before,â said Adam Aron, CEO AMC, in a declaration.
He noted that AMC is the largest supplier of freshly popped popcorn in the United States, at around 50 tonnes per day. He said, “With this new AMC initiative, we plan to reach whole new segments of the American population with our popular AMC Perfectly Popcorn theaters.”
The launch comes as consumers wary of the pandemic remain reluctant to return to theaters and the threat of home entertainment from streaming services from Netflix, Hulu, Disney and Apple has accelerated. A the Wall Street newspaper An article in early October said that theater owners are being forced to reimagine how their spaces are used and experience sporting events broadcasting and video games.
The popcorn category is also experiencing a resurgence with the introduction of a variety of gourmet flavors and has become popular as a healthy snack on the go, rich in vitamin B complex, antioxidants and fiber.
- AMC Entertainment to expand beyond theatrical exhibition and enter multi-billion dollar popcorn industry – AMC
- AMC theaters will start selling popcorn in malls and supermarkets – Variety
- The future of movie theaters is more than just movies – The Wall Street Journal
- Universal launches a lifeline to cinemas while testing a new distribution model – The Wall Street Journal
- Popcorn Market Size, Share and Trend Analysis Report by Product (Ready to Eat, Microwave), by Flavor (Sweet, Salty), by Shape (Mushroom, Butterfly), by Application (home, commercial) and segment forecast, 2021 – 2028 – Million previews – Millions of information
- Slideshow: Tracking the latest popcorn innovation – Bakery
- Flavor innovation makes the popcorn category ‘pop’ – Candy industry
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS: Do you agree that it is ânatural and logicalâ to bring popcorn from AMC theaters to retail stores? Which of the four distribution options is likely to be the most successful? What advice would you have for the launch?
âPopcorn in the movies tastes so good because it is part of the overall theatrical experience. Will that magic be reflected in you?